  • Subject: New President at SSA, Stueck out!
  • From: Jim Kanter <jkanter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:15:29 -0500

ROBERT R. CARPENTER NAMED CHAIRMAN AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER OF SYSTEM
SOFTWARE ASSOCIATES, INC.
Chicago, IL, September 14, 1999

System Software Associates, Inc. (NASDAQ: SSAXD), today announced that its Board
 of Directors has named Robert R. Carpenter, a highly-experienced executive in
the technology services sector, as Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the
Board of Directors. In naming Mr. Carpenter, the Board has completed an
extensive search process for the retiring Chairman and Chief Executive Officer,
Mr. William M. Stuek. Mr. Stuek commented that "Bob Carpenter is an outstanding
choice to lead the continued transition of the Company and its drive to
profitability."

System Software stated, "Bob Carpenter brings to System Software Associates a
record of success in refocusing and re-energizing technology companies. Among
his accomplishments, he led the turnaround of NCR's $3.0 billion global services
 businesses from 1994-96, and has been an important executive in customer
oriented operations at Square D, AT&T Network Systems (Lucent) and Origin B.V.
(Philips). We look forward to benefiting from Bob's leadership and energy as we
move SSA forward."

Mr. Carpenter said, "System Software Associates is an exciting opportunity and I
 am very pleased to be coming aboard. SSA has sound customer relationships, very
 talented people and significant growth potential. Our focus at SSA will be to
profitably build on the strengths and core assets of the company: our customers,
 our people and our products and services."

Mr. Carpenter had served until 1998 as President and Chief Executive Officer of
Origin Americas, a subsidiary of Philips B.V., where he grew that company's IT
services and outsourcing revenues by 32% and engineered a profit turnaround.
Prior to joining Origin, he was with AT&T Corporation, where from 1994 through
1996 he had worldwide responsibility for NCR's $3 billion services business.
>From 1988 to 1992 he was Corporate Vice President of Square D Company with
specific responsibilities for customer service, information systems and the
technical services business unit. Mr. Carpenter began his professional career
with the Boston Consulting Group's Chicago office.

About SSA
System Software Associates is a worldwide ERP software and services provider
with fiscal year 1998 revenue of $421 million. Its principal product, eBPCS
Client/Server Version 6.0 is primarily sold to the industrial sector including:
automotive, chemicals, consumer goods, electronics, general manufacturing, food
and beverage, forest products and pharmaceuticals.

# # #
eBPCS is a trademark and BPCS is a registered trademark of SSA. Other products
mentioned in this document are registered, trademarked, or service marked by
their respective owners.

For any financial inquiries, please contact Mary Bergstrom at 312-258-6000 or
E-mail at: mbergstr@ssax.com.

To request additional information about this release, email info@ssax.com, or
contact:

Joseph J. Skadra