  • Subject: Re: ECM623 - Inbound Inventory Adjustments...
  • From: Ata510@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 23:53:06 EDT

lee@shaw1.cix.co.uk writes:

> We are using BPCS V6.004 in mixed mode an would like to use ECM623 to post
>  inventory transactions. I have worked with invoices and orders ECAs which
>  have batch posting mechanisms, but ECM623 needs to use the SMG interface
if
>  I understand the documentation correctly.
>
>  Has anyone been successful in implementing this ECA with mixed mode. If
so,
>  what do I need to do to make it work?

Hello,

I am not certain about ECM specifically, but SMGs do work with Mixed Mode
BPCS in 6.0.04 and 6.1.00 just fine. In 6.0.04 in fact a new release of SMGs
came out with the July '99 cumulative (its a separate order from the BPCS
cume, and the SMG software is updated with fixes etc.).

For Mixed Mode you need to load some extra 'Mixed Mode Support' libraries
which basically contain a subset of Full Client Server BPCS. (This is all in
the install instructions). They have the Full C/S versions of programs or
Full C/S-only programs needed to run the SMGs and the BPCS programs they
invoke via the NEWI communications interface.

The main problem or thing that is harder to deal with is maintenance. When
you order BMRs, you have to make sure that if a given Mixed Mode BMR affects
some of the 'SMG Support' objects (full client server version of the same
program as the BMR fixes) then you also need to order and apply the full
client/server BMR for those objects to the SMG support libraries. There is an
appendix at the end of the install document that lists all the objects you
have to watch out for when applying BMRs.

If you only use SMGs for ECM, the list of objects you will need to watch out
for is whatever is part of Order Entry and those related programs plus any
problems in NEWI that might get fixed by SSA.

But sometimes the programs affected by SMGs appear unexpectedly in a BMR
library you ordered, because they get pulled in as a 'dependent program'
which was not listed on the original BMR description.  So, you have to look
carefully at a BMR library when you get it, or just make a habit of always
ordering both the MM and Full C/S BMRs so you are covered either way.

The more parts of SMGs (gateways) you decide to use, then the more you will
need to pay attention to your BMR orders. The Helpline might think it is odd
you are ordering both sets of fixes - but make sure you insist to them to
give you both sets of fixes or the SMGs will get errors that the Mixed Mode
side of BPCS is not getting.

Thanks
+---