  • Subject: Re: New JAVA Resource -- From an AS/400 Perspective
  • From: pluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 09:37:23 -0600

>There's a new JAVA resource out there, from an AS/400 perspective, from a guy
>that helped architect the future of BPCS (but he says don't hold that against
>him, they only did half of what he wanted ;-)).  Check out www.zappie.net if
>you get a chance.  He hopes for it to become the future for us "old guys"...

Thanks for the plug, Dean.

I started out on a S/3 mod 15D back in the 70's, and I've watched this
marketplace change.  I looked into all the new languages (Pascal, C, C++,
Smalltalk) as they came out.  However, until Java I didn't find anything even
CLOSE to being able to be used for business applications.  We made do with C for
the Assistants, but it was sheer torture (Are you listening, Mr. Gibbs?  Do you
remember the PAIN?).  If we had had Java when we did the Assistants, it would
have been SO much easier.  And had we had it during the TIME THAT SHALL NOT BE
MENTIONED, we might even have gotten SOM out the door.

With IBM's Java Toolbox for the AS/400 anybody who wants graphical access to
their BPCS data can do it via Java in a just a few minutes (literally).  But you
have to LEARN Java, and that's what my site is for.  Not long technical
discussions of the merits of interfaces versus multiple inheritance or battles
over the need for a "goto" instruction.  Instead, I want to get RPG programmers
to install Java and start accessing AS/400 data as quickly as possible.

Warning: the site is just starting.  The tutorials and free code (the free code
should show up this weekend <smile>) will hopefully help us all expand our
programming skills and get on to the next level of our careers, but the site is
still just developing.  But all of you can help.  Check out the site, then take
the time to Email me and let me know what YOU want to see (use the Email link on
the site rather than here at Nexgen - my site address is webmaster@zappie.net).

This ain't a for-profit deal, it's for us to help each other.  Heck, I don't
even have any sponsor banners <grin>.

P.S. Hope I didn't offend anyone with this pompously self-serving message
<grin>.  I promise it'll be the last time I mention the site here...

Joe "Zappie" Pluta

+---