Sure, David

I simply installed FileZilla, then added our iSeries boxes to the Site Manager. Now if your iSeries is set up as the default, it will have what is called the library name format. FileZilla - and almost all other FTP clients - don't know what to do with that. So, once I was connected and got the "Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing"

My solution was to send a "site namefmt 1" command right after that. Then hit F5 to refresh, and I get the list of objects in, say, library QGPL but in the path name format.

You can't even look at things in the IFS, if you are using the library name format, so changing to path name format gives me everything I want.

So I learned how to set path name format automatically - put the following lines into the sitemanager.xml fill in the application path for FileZilla - %appdata%\filezilla

Then follow what I wrote below - sorry - someone stripped out "extraneous" stuff from the email!

OK - so find the <Server> section for your iSeries and add the following lines somewhere within it -

<PostLoginCommands>
<Command>site namefmt 1</Command>
</PostLoginCommands>

You can put other stuff there, as well, but this is all I need.

Now, instead of this, you can set default local and remote directories - set the remote directory to / (root), and the name format will automatically be changed - this is a trick the iSeries does, because it is different from everyone else, by default. I prefer not to do this, since I usually use this to transfer SAVFs, and I'd have to put myself back into the library area again.

But there is no reason not to have 2 sites defined to the same machine, just with different settings.

Hope that is clear! Weather is too nice today to be logical!

Vern

David FOXWELL wrote:
Vern,

Would you mind going back to before the beginning of this thread, for people like me whose only use of ftp is a put and a get once a year via start run cmd?

I think you're saying I could install filezilla and use that to transfer files to and from our i5? If I knew where to start, I'd certainly use ftp more often. I have a little experience with filezilla, but only for dragging and dropping files between my home PC and my personal internet site.

Thanks