Hi friends,

We are implementing windowing for Y2K conversion and for that we are
applying
ALTSEQ to the decade part of the year field. We are facing a problem with
the
converted sort specs.

The original code is
HSORTR  9A
FNC          1   6                              Date field(YMD)
FNC          7   9

This we have converted as

HSORTR  9A      F
ALTSEQ  F5F0F6F1F7F2F8F3F9F4F0F5F1F6F2F7F3F8F4F9
FNC           1   1    A                        Decade part of date
FNC           2   6                             Rest of the date except
decade part

The output that this sort spec produces should be in the alternate sequence
(that is,
according to the window of 1950 - 2049 , ONLY THE SEQUENCE AND NOT THE
VALUES) but we are getting a modified output. All 9s are being modified as
4s and
so on....we only want the sequence changed and not the values.

To analyze this, we have done some study. We put a 'X' in the control spec
i.e.

HSORTR  9A      F    X
ALTSEQ  F5F0F6F1F7F2F8F3F9F4F0F5F1F6F2F7F3F8F4F9
FNC           1   1    A
FNC           2   6

This worked fine and gave only the changed sequence and not the values.
Sort specs are only supposed to change the sequence and not the values, I
guess.
Can anyone resolve this further, we have lot of sort specs in this
application that we
are making Y2K compliant and such a thing would mean a lot of rework to us.

Please mail me the solutions (if any) as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Murali Bhaavan.