I appreciate the information. One thing:

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thousands of concurrent users? You need to know how to set up sessions
that are not server dependent (ie, session cookies, etc). If it's the
resources, the Apache server when set up properly can handle thousands of
connections (I think you even mentioned this in a LI thread a few days
back). Maybe that's not what you're referring to here.

You may be referring to my earlier comment in this thread - one of our
clients running 3,500+ threads in a single Apache instance. However, if
you're running that many threads which correspondingly connect to an equal
number of CGI processes, and you're not using persistent CGI, then over
time all of your CGI programs become activated in all the Jobs, as the HTTP
threads dispatch requests indiscriminately to whatever CGI job which might
be available. A built-in memory leak.

I don't quite follow this frame of thought. Let me explain.

Normally there is one request per job. If you're using persistence with
client sessions IDs, same thing. If you're using persistence built into
the server, it's one job per "visitor". (I've never liked that type of
persistence).

The question I have is, how is one job per request a "memory leak"? When
you say something like "all of your CGI programs become activated in all
jobs" it makes it sound like you're leaving LR off all the time. :) (I've
never been a fan of that either when it's sole purpose is "speed").

Or are you referring to access paths, AGs, etc staying open/active in each
job? If so, is calling that a memory leak really fair? It makes it sound
so... so... dirty! Haha... Most IT folks would refer to memory leaks as
poor programming in C (and other languages) with pointers, not job
resources staying available.

I've put together some large systems using CGI and Apache over the years
and rarely if ever have they experienced anything that would be called a
memory leak, even with the servers running for months on end without
restarting them or an IPL. The only thing we end up "rebooting" are PCs in
the chain that handle things the IBM i doesn't. (for example redacting
documents for the web.. I don't like it, but it's a necessity in this case
and a huge bottleneck and i don't have a say in that part of the
application).

Brad
www.bvstools.com