On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 1:51 PM, Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

CGI interfaces and their derivatives do fine in a pinch, when the workload
is small-scale and narrowly-scoped. They fail architecturally when
applications are broadly scoped, subjected to thousands of concurrent
users, require multiple runtime environments for say development, test, and
production or hosting many tenants on a single server.

Those are some pretty broadly scoped generic descriptions and statements,
Nathan. :)

What would you call a "broadly scoped application" and how would CGI not do
better than x, y or z (you fill those in).

Thousands of concurrent users? You need to know how to set up sessions
that are not server dependent (ie, session cookies, etc). If it's the
resources, the Apache server when set up properly can handle thousands of
connections (I think you even mentioned this in a LI thread a few days
back). Maybe that's not what you're referring to here.

What other interface doesn't require different environments for test, devo
and live? (Well, no interfaces "requires" this, but it's standard
practice).

Hosting many tenants on a single server? What does that have to do with
CGI? By "server" do you mean a single web instance or a physical machine,
because it's very easy to set up multiple servers on multiple IPs on the
IBM i.

One solution to this problem is to stop running application frameworks and
applications in HTTP server jobs. Relegate the HTTP server to
communications. Use some form of inter-process communications to forward
client requests to essentially independent outside jobs for processing,
then returning responses to HTTP clients.

Interesting. Can you provide a real world example for this? I'd like to
see if the added complexity would be worth it for this.

You would obviously need to send some type of session id from the HTTP
server to this outside job so that it can return a response to the
requester if I'm reading this correctly.

How would a "timeout" (ie MSGW, infinite loop, etc) work in this case since
the HTTP server would only be returning a simple "I received your request..
it's being processed" type of response, and the "real" response would be
coming from this outside job.

Brad
www.bvstools.com