On 08-Aug-2016 14:42 -0500, Justin Taylor wrote:
<<SNIP>>
It doesn't matter who compiles the *PGM object, but rather who owns
the object. If the other dev owns the object, it won't run once
deployed. I can change the owner of the deployed object to me, and
then it does run.

AIUI there is a configuration\directives file in which is defined what will validly qualify as "a CGI program"; though I recall only an aliasing effect, merely for location\finding objects. I am unaware of there being any filtering by object owner, such that a located program could be identified as "Not a CGI program" solely per an /incorrect/ owner.

Thus I would expect most likely, the authority to the object for either the user assigned for the start of the server job or a switched-to user in the already-active server job, is more likely to be the origin for the issue than the ownership of the object; perhaps for the failing scenario there would be a T-AF entry in the audit log if *AUTFAIL auditing were in effect?

Note: The default effect for the Change Object Ownership (CHGOBJOWN) is to Revoke the Current Owner Authority. So perhaps rather than specifically the ownership change being corrective, the loss of the previously assigned private authorities to the other developer user profile might be what was corrective.?

Of the past messages that I recall describing both that /same error/ message-text and referrals made to the configuration file, both on this forum and on other fora, the discussions were [best I can recall] always about improper mapping of the name to an actual object; i.e. I do not recall any of those past discussions for which the name-mapping specifications include a particular owner as an additional requirement, beyond the requirement the object must be found. But, the lack of authority to an object can be identical in effect to the inability to locate; i.e. a request to /resolve-to/ an object may manifest as the condition /not found/ if the object is searched for generically via a[n effective] path such as *LIBL or by generically naming the object to be searched such as with MYPGM*.

I seemed to recall more past discussions with that error text, but even eliminating the effective message identifier in the following web search, the additional results seem unrelated:
[https://www.google.com/search?q=ZSRV_MSG0109+%22not+a+cgi+program%22]