Hello, again, Jan:

Sorry, something went very wrong and my e-mail client apparently inserted multiple versions / editions / copies of my reply, and somehow, I did not catch this error before sending my reply. Let me try again...

If you are on IBM i 7.1 or newer, you may be able to take advantage of the following enhancements.

IBM i 7.1+ addresses some IFS performance issues. Search the Knowledge Center for "temporary user defined file system" ... excerpts:

Temporary user defined file systems

The integrated file system performs auxiliary storage operations to
ensure that files and directories persist across IPLs or crashes of
the system. However, many applications use temporary working files
and directories that do not need to persist across IPLs of the
system. These applications are needlessly slowed down by objects
being forced to permanent storage. Users can create and mount a
special type of UDFS that contains only temporary objects. Temporary
objects do not require any extra auxiliary storage operations
because they are automatically deleted by the system when the system
is restarted, or when the file system is unmounted.

A temporary UDFS improves performance by reducing or eliminating unnecessary auxiliary storage I/O operations for ephemeral stream files.

Note that the extra I/O operations (to force IFS data to disk) could also have an adverse impact, depending on your DASD I/O configuration.

By defining a "temporary UDFS," you can create an IFS directory that is never written to DASD but remains in memory. Your PDF documents remain "in memory" while your application program logic remain the same, creating the .PDF files in the same way, then reading and sending them to the browser, etc.

Hope this helps,

Mark S. Waterbury

> On 6/16/2016 5:17 AM, Jan Grove Vejlstrup wrote:
Hello

I create a webservice that receives a document-ID as input and shall deliver a PDF of the document back to the consumer. I generate a spooled file of the document and use the attributes wscst(*PDF) and tostmf of the printer-file to convert the spooled file to a PDF and store it in the IFS. With my program I read the PDF from the IFS, put a appropriate header before it and use STDOUT to send it to the consumer.

Is there a way to do this without having to store the PDF temporarily in the IFS?

Best regards

Jan