Poor word choice on my part. I only meant to debate that Node.js does have
an embedded Web server.
On May 3, 2016 6:51 PM, "Kevin Turner" <kevin.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think express is a bit more than a facade - what you get with node is
the bare bones.

On 3 May 2016, at 11:23, Aaron Bartell <aaronbartell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I am not sure it's strictly true to say it has its own web server - you'd
have to put some code together yourself - but you'd be better off making
use of something like express.js.

I am not sure I follow the first part of your question. The web server
embedded/included with Node.js is here:
http://bit.ly/nodejs-12-http_createserver ExpressJs is a facade that uses
the embedded/included web server. Further, here's the actual net.js code:
https://github.com/nodejs/node/blob/master/lib/net.js

And with the 'cluster' npm you can easily load balance between multiple
processes (IBM i jobs). Here's some sanitized sample code I wrote for a
Node.js-on-IBM-i customer. Basically the 'rpg' module contains calls to
RPG using the iToolKit.

var http = require('http');
var rpg = require('./rpg')
var app = require('express')()
var cluster = require('cluster')

if (cluster.isMaster) {
for (var i = 0; i < 2; i += 1)
cluster.fork()
} else {
process_request()
}

function process_request(){
app.get('/getprice', function (req, res) {
rpg.pgm1(req.query.myparm, req.query.myparm2, function(output){
res.send(output)
})
})
}

http.createServer(app).listen(8080)
console.log('Listening on port %d', 8080)

Aaron Bartell
litmis.com - Services for open source on IBM i

On Tue, May 3, 2016 at 10:02 AM, Kevin Turner <
kevin.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

The node.js route is the one for me (even if I am going to call RPG
eventually on the back end). I am not sure it's strictly true to say it