Via System i Navigator...

I run [ select * from sysibm.sqlcolumns ]. I can see the column_text field. There is text in this field.

"comment on" and "label on" do not touch it...

[ select table_schem, table_name, remarks, table_text from sysibm.sqltables ]

sysibm.sqltables has remarks and table_text. COMMENT ON TABLE schema.table IS "Table Comment" changes REMARKS and LABEL ON TABLE schema.table IS "Table Label" changes TABLE_TEXT.

COMMENT ON COLUMN schema.table.column IS "Field Comment" Runs ins System i Navigator without an error. LABEL ON COLUMN schema.table.column IS "Field Label" also Runs ins System i Navigator without an error.

But neither change COLUMN_TEXT.

WebSmart also shows a Heading1 column... which is the same as column_text. But it does not show up in a select *.

I want to give my admins the ability to update the Remarks and Texts to better describe the tables and fields.

So thus far I can display and change a Tables Remarks and Table_Text fields.

But I can only display a Fields Column_Text. I can not update it. And I have no idea what Comment ON and Label ON have done to the table and column I tried to update, even though the executed SQL was reported to have ran successfully.

I need one of you genius detectives on this case to solve the mystery.

Thanks,
Rob

---