My fellow Nerds,

Nathan Andelin wrote:
"In regards to me lambasting Rob, I don't know him personally, but his conversational tone strikes me a person who might appreciate a blunt response. I don't mean any offence. "

At first I did think Nathan was being a bit of a "Richard". Being truthful, he is absolutely correct; I so prefer the direct honest approach. Get to the facts and the truth, skip the feelings. Sometimes it is difficult to separate out the Honest Bits from the Opinion Bits. We are all in here because we are passionate about what we do and most importantly we CARE! As seasoned developers we all have our own distinct comfort zones, skill sets and environments in which we like to work. I do appreciate a good challenge and new environments. I wished time constraints and budgets appreciated challenges and new environments as well.

I have been coming to grips with the fact that ignoring RPG is not a good thing. I have always respected, I am just going to say it, the AS400. No matter what it is called today, I do absolutely recognize the power that exists between RPG and DB2. I am convinced that they are one in the same; well... that RPG is the "Voice" of DB2, not SQL. I will take a look at Free-Form RPG... I am reading "Free-Form RPG Support on IBM i". https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/ibmi/library/i-ibmi-rpg-support/

A little bit about my current situation. I was hired as a PHP developer to become the new Development Division for my company. The project I am taking over, it is a mix of WebSmart PML compiled to FREE RPG and PHP. The company that developed the original code is still fixing things and we are getting the benefit of that coding. By no later than January 1st we will diverge. I came aboard the last 2 weeks of August; and just now got a thorough walk through of the scripts that run the entire project. I have already been in some of the scripts and making changes to code during my first 6 weeks in Atlanta, where the current development office exists. Our current development is on v5r4... our current production is on v7r1. I have a v6r1 box I want to rebuild as a v7r2. And I have learned that we own the boxes out right. I was told the only way to upgrade was to go to the box and place hands on upon it to get a successful rebuild. So I see another trip to Atlanta in my future.

I am about to purchase a partition from iDevCloud.com. This is where I will do my most daring experimentation.

I have much on my plate these days. I am now the go to guy for all things IT; in both Dallas TX and Wichita KS. I have just been cleared to start recruiting, in order to begin building my Development Lab. Even tough I had already began recruiting at Zendcon.

I have been presented the opportunity to create a new project, a SOAP interface to a third party POS. That would be Point Of Sale... not a Piece Of "excrement". After seeing the Doctrine ORM demonstration given by, Margaret Staples @dead_lugosi, during ZendCon in Vegas; I really want to get composer and the other required tools installed on my v6r1 and start "Playing" and learning.

"Playing"... it is a term I use often when speaking about writing scripts. For me, coding and making machines bend to my will is simply play... it is what makes me giggle! Solve a problem, fix a bug, do what others say can not be done.... that is my drug of choice.

As I said in an earlier message, I am a fan of all feed back, comments, suggestions and guidance; even if it is not what I wanted to hear. Sometimes one must simply stare truth in the face and accept it in what ever form it takes.

My thanks to Nathan A, Aaron B, Evan H, Vernon H, Pete H, Alan S, Jim H... I appreciate your voices. I am very hard headed. Some times it takes a while to beat an new idea into me. Don't give up on me if I do not get it the first 2, 3 or 20 times. Just remember we are all of the Nerd Kind, we are our own family!

Laters,
Rob

---