Have you tried adding a function on the onKeyUp event? Count the characters entered and insert a CR/LF after 50 characters are entered. Reset the counter to 0 after the new line has been added.

Thanks,
Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: WEB400 [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jim Franz
Sent: Saturday, October 24, 2015 10:03 PM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: [WEB400] textarea that works for blocks of text and keeps length of each line

Have a cgi web screen with various input fields plus a textarea of 5 rows,
50 cols (columns).
The data field is 250 bytes.
Moving the 250a to the textarea should always have byte 51 starting 2nd line, 101 starting 3rd line, etc.
CSS controls colors, fonts, etc, but nothing specific to textarea.
Chrome and IE don't match, and both jumble the appearance where the textarea is always shorter than the 50 characters (in IE, and longer in
Chrome) and wraps to the next line.
<sample>
LINE1TENxxSECOND10xxTHIRD10xxx
FOURTH10xxFIFTH10xxxLINE2TENxx
SECONDTEN...

There is plenty of room for the whole 50 bytes to fit within page.

Many hours of google, w3schools,stackflow, etc and trying lots of stuff has not improved the issue.
I have put textarea in it's own table, but no difference. I am assuming it's width affected by other input type="text" on same panel.

Users really want the ability to paste in up to 250 bytes and then edit it into 5 lines of 50 (it's a description that comes from other sources).
Later printed on form and the alignment in the textarea has to match print..

This to me seems a standard data entry issue for web applications.
Is "textarea" just unsuitable for this kind of entry? It worked better in older browsers.
Has anyone found a definition that works in the current web world (this app is for customers and they have various browsers. App's been up for 16 years.
Jim

For More Than 80 Years—Delivering Solutions That Exceed Expectations.

This communication and any transmitted documents are intended to be confidential. If there is a problem with this transmission, please contact the sender. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.