Kelly

You misunderstood me, I'm not suggesting to shift from COBOL to RPGLE but
just to add RPGLE as an option in your toolbox.

.NET can do a lot for you, but it don't handle/process local (terabyte) IFS
files with hierarchical data that you eventually will run into.

Another thing is about playing around with the idea of using node.js, with
COBOL OPM programmers? Are you trying to give them a heart attack? Before
you even consider that, you should make sure that they are pretty good
programmers that is able to use QC2LE sub-procedures, the concept of ILE,
allocated storage management and thereby other middleware even if it a mix
of COBOL, RPGLE and C.

So sorry, I can’t agree with you it is a different issue or discussion, but
let me state it very clear, OPM programmers doesn’t do neither .NET or
node.js applications nor stored procedures or service programs.

But don’t throw the old OPM babies out with the bathwater, with the right
tools and the right help they can be pushed into making amazing modern
things without them knowing what is going on ‘under the hood’.

Kelly, I’m in fact a little puzzled that you, with a psychological
background, don’t recognize simple basic psychological techniques of
bringing OPM’s forward without creating a neuropsychological backlash
which is basics in all LEAN (making things more efficient and modern)
projects.

Programming is basically a behavior on how to go from A to B, if your
behavior is OPM (should be seen as a metaphor for what you did yesterday)
you will try to solve the problem in OPM however awkward the solution ends
up being.

The trick is – arrrgh – that we can go back to ;-)

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Kelly Cookson <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>