I'm open to hearing about other ways to conceptualize what a "node app" is.

I watched that Youtube presentation on "modular" Node apps again. I had
actually viewed it a couple times before. Sometimes it takes an interval
mixed with additional reading before I "think" I understand something.

Express.js and Jade.js are obviously featured in the video. The author used
the term "app" in the context of a "main app" which is listening on an HTTP
port. "App" was also used in the context "routing" from the main app to
sub-apps.

The author's idea of sub-apps (evidently within an Express.js framework)
seemed to be scoped to handle just one browser request; The request for the
Login page, for example.

As you may understand from my previous posts, I find this application
architecture problematic, at best. A sub-app is a request-route to a page?
Are they kidding us? Restarting an HTTP service every time a "page" is
modified?

So, I'm having difficulty conceptualizing what a "node app" should be.

Regarding your point about a Node app serving as a "proxy", that appears to
be somewhat inline with Walmart's setup.

https://gist.github.com/hueniverse/7686452

I could imagine a Node service writing "request.body" to a stream file,
which effectively becomes STDIN for an IBM i ILE JOB, which handles the
request and generates a separate output stream (effectively STDOUT), which
Node picks up and returns to the browser.