Kevin

What’s wrong with a little drama, haven’t you read Shakespeare or seen Fawlty
Towers ? *LOL*

I have decided to put node.js into what I call a complementary technology
to my main stack that are ILE based. I can’t see it as “a way to go” in
legacy systems on IBM I and will probably not be a high volume technology
in bringing existing users of IBM I forward, it is simply to “geeky” for
most IBM I programmers.

We have seen this before, IBM promoted JAVA in early days (remember the San
Francisco project), other technologies doesn’t either seems to bide in the
broad cake (RPGOA, PHP, PowerRuby etc.) while CGIDEV2 and Scotts HTTPAPI
seems more appealing to the community.

We both started out with CGIDEV2 and build frameworks around it. I build
powerEXT Core as a compatible extension of CGIDEV2 adding specially inline
JSON and XML support to it (RPG) but also a lot more that I needed to
support EXT JS. You went another way and making your CGIDECV2 version
incompatible with the original version and thereby the original users and
their code base.

Aaron states that CRUD is old fashioned unless you build SPA in pure
javascript (like EXT JS), but that is exactly what I do in EXT JS backed by
powerEXT REST/CRUD webservices and SPA on the fly program generators even
though the environments are completely separated.

Aaron has btw like a reed been swaying in the wind, he introduced an open
source project using EXT JS years ago, then he went for powerRuby and now
for node.js. This is very typical for young geeks that doesn’t has a
continuous strategy, I call them “technology jumpers” who leaves a trial of
what they did yesterday for others to thought out after they have left the
building and moved forward to other new technologies.

CGIDEV2 and it looks alike has proven to be a much more sustainable
technology that anything else any else has come up with in regards to
moving IBM I (and the 68 years old OPM programmer) to the net. But that is
only my NSHO (Not So Humble Opinion) ;-)

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 3:35 AM, Kelly Cookson <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>