We have several CGI programs that generate javascript, usually JSON. For
years we have set the content type to text/plain or text/javascript. I'd
like to start using the more standard "application/json", but I am hitting
a major snag. The output is garbage. I get the exact same output when I
set the content-type to application/javascript.

Just to verify this was related to CGI output, I used AddType to change the
content-type of static JavaScript files to "application/javascript". Those
files look fine, so this must have something to do with it being CGI
output.

I don't really know what is up with the output, but I know it isn't
EBCDIC. It doesn't convert. Garbage in, garbage out. Changing the content
type back to text/javascript sets everything right.

Anyone have any guesses what is going on here? We use CGIDEV2 under IBM i
7.1. The default CCSID of our CGI jobs is 37.

Just so we are clear on one thing. We had the following settings in our
HTTP Conf:

DefaultFsCCSID 037
CGIConvMode %%EBCDIC/EBCDIC%%

I commented both settings out and it had no impact on the output
whatsoever. All of our CGI programs that use content type of "text/*"
seemed to work. The ones using "application/javascript" or
"application/json" for content type still looked like garbage. The only
guess I have is that mod_cgi sees that the content-type starts with
"application" and treats the output as binary, but I have no idea how I can
tell mod_cgi to treat "application/javascript" as text, or if that is even
the issue.

I am hoping someone has an idea. I know Apache pretty well, but this one
has me stumped.

--
Matt