On 8/19/2015 11:24 PM, Don Brown wrote:
Hi Kevin,

Are you using Git for RPG change management ?

If you are would be interested in any comments, suggestions Etc.

Not Kevin, but I'm in the early days of using Git for RPG source version
control. Which is absolutely NOT change management - it is source
versioning only.

The first thing you need to know is that I'm the only one (so far) using
Git. After I get quite familiar with the ramifications of the decisions
I've made, I'll try to sell it to the rest of the group.

Because my colleagues aren't going to switch to stream files for all the
source on the system, I needed another way to store source members as
stream files so that Git could properly account for them. RDi iProjects
fit the bill well enough. The normal edit/compile cycle has RDi
downloading the source to a directory on my PC, where RDi can edit it.
It is this directory which I put under Git... supervision for lack of
vocabulary. When I'm done, I push the changed source back to the source
member and compile it.

This results (so far) in a private Git repo which I can use to roll
changes back, or to explore 'what ifs' that cross multiple source
members (imagine sub-procedures in several service programs, test jigs
and regular programs that consume these new sub-procedures). In
addition, I push that Git repo down to an IFS file so that others can
(if they wanted) have access to it.