To: "Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)" <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Kelly Cookson <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07/12/2015 11:57AM
Subject: Re: [WEB400] The responsive web site debate

It seems to me if we're going to build web sites and hybrid apps that use DB2 data and/or programs on an IBM i, we need to know our options for developing the front ends of those sites and apps. HTML, CSS and JavaScript have become de facto web standards for the front end. Responsive web sites and single page apps (not the same thing) are two options we have for the front ends or web sites and hybrid apps that are different than traditional web pages for desktop browsers.

When we use PHP on the IBM i to develop a responsive web site, are questions having to do with the responsive front end of that web site questions for WEB400? When we use Java or the Integrated Web Services to create a RESTful services that pulls DB2 data into a single page app, are questions about the single page app on the front end suitable for WEB400? What about when we try to create a hybrid mobile app using HTML, CSS, JavaScript or Cordova? None of these are IBM technologies. But the IBM Mobile First\Worklight initiative has made Cordova a central tool for developing mobile apps. Are questions about the HTML, CSS or JavaScript code inside a Cordova hybrid app proper for WEB400?

I really like the Midrange.com lists, and I'm happy to play by the rules.

So here's my question:

Is WEB400 an appropriate forum for discussing the front ends of all the web sites and mobile apps we are building?

Or is WEB400 only appropriate for the back ends of those web and mobile technologies (web servers, server-side scripts, CGI programs, web services, RESTful services, etc.) when those back ends are running on an IBM i?

Thanks,
Kelly