On Sat, May 16, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Kelly Cookson <KCookson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I really think the IBM i integrated web services tools might be the right
> solution for our shop.

Think again! I question whether the IWS will be adequate for web
applications. Simple, public web services, fine. But for database
maintenance, transaction processing, and reports?

I read the 3 articles about IWS, along with other ones you referenced. I
concluded that neither REST nor the IWS would be adequate for application
modernization.

I could relate to Part 3 in the IWS series because student information
systems is our business. Say you need to maintain 500 database tables, and
a response from the server is needed for and average of 10 I/O operations;
Would you configure 500 service programs and 5,000 procedures under IWS?

Do you grant authorities to IBM i resources to specific users, and user
groups? Would it really be a good idea to run all your web services under 1
generic user profile?

Do you have different database environments where each has a different
library list? Would it really be a good idea to run all your web services
under a single library list?

Say you have a web service that provides five and ten day forecasts. High,
low temperatures, and average temperatures, relative humidity, sunny,
partly sunny, mostly cloudy, reported per day. IWS doesn't appear to
support hierarchically structured output.

What do you do about data transfers that may exceed the number of rows in
an array?

What sort of REST interface supports complex filter conditions such as get
me the list of students where district equals 'XXX' and school equals 'XXX'
and fiscal year equals 2015 and grading term equals 4 and last name begins
with 'A' and first name begins with 'A' and grade level equals 7?

Just trying to provoke thought.