Kelly,

> 1.       Am I mistaken that stateless communication requires clients to
> pass user credentials on each request to the server? If not, how do you
> avoid passing user credentials on each request while keeping all session
> information on the client? Maybe I'm missing something obvious. (I'm still
> a newbie in this area.)

If credentials are required (ie, Basic authentication, session cookies,
OAuth 2.0 credentials, etc) then yes, each request needs to send them.

> 2.       What kind of performance hit, if any, does one take by having to
> pass user credentials with each request to the IBM i?

Not much.  More of the processing of credentials is done on the server
side.  When you're sending credentials it's normally just some soft of
"string" in the request headers (to be very generic).

> 3.       Does anyone have suggestions from personal experience, or know
> some good resources to read, regarding user authentication for web services
> built on RPG/COBOL CGI programs?

"User Authentication" here is very general.  Each web service you interact
with may require different types of authentication (or possibly none at
all).  So you really need to take it on a case by case basis.

With our GETURI software we've used it for many different types of
communication (OAuth, Basic, session cookies, etc).

I hope this helps.  Your question is sort of broad.  If you have a specific
web service you want to communicate with, the specs should tell you how you
need to do this.

Here's a link to Google OAuth playground that lets you see how OAuth 2.0
works with their APIs:
https://developers.google.com/oauthplayground/

Then again remember, this is only one type of authentication being used.

Brad
www.bvstools.com