On 12/16/2014 9:03 AM, Bryan Dietz wrote:
Just passing along that Node.js was released 12/12 for the IBM i.

IBM i release 7.2.

1) Went to ESS, followed Bryan's advice and downloaded
F_MULTI_NLV_110_IBM_i_Open_Source_Solutions_LCD8_2252_00.udf

2) Used Windows Explorer to put that in my IFS, in a directory called /ptf.

3) Used ADDIMGCLG and LODIMGCLG to put it into a virtual optical.

4) RSTLICPGM LICPGM(5733OPS)
DEV(OPTVRT01)
OPTION(*BASE)

5) RSTLICPGM LICPGM(5733OPS)
DEV(OPTVRT01)
OPTION(1)

6) call qp2term

7) cd /QOpenSys/QIBM/ProdData/Node/bin

8) node -v (returns v0.10.29 - shows Node.js is working)

9) Using Notepad++, created a new stream file called helloworldnode.js:

var http = require('http');
http.createServer(function (req, res) {
res.writeHead(200, {'Content-Type': 'text/plain'});
res.end('Hello World\n\nFrom node.js running on IBM i 7.2');
}).listen(8081, '10.1.0.1');
console.log('Server running at http://10.1.0.1:8081/');

10) node $HOME/helloworldnode.js (returns Server running at
http://10.1.0.1:8081/)

At this point, a web server is running on my IBM system (not the PC) on
port 8081. I can connect via Firefox and see

Hello World

From node.js running on IBM i 7.2

11) To kill the web server, I need to look for my active job and kill
right one. Wrkusrjob buck *active and look for PGM-node. End that job
and the web server, er, terminates.

So, thanks to Bryan for the help figuring out what to download. Hello
World does run on 7.2. I can't get deeper into this until the new year
but I thought I'd report how far I did get.

The documentation provided by IBM is... thin. This page at
DeveloperWorks is probably the best so far.
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/wikis/home?lang=en#!/wiki/IBM%20i%20Technology%20Updates/page/Node.js