Ah- that site has a couple things - under including a standard footer is this "comment" that would be in your HTML.

|<!--#include virtual="/footer.html" -->

That is an include that will find /footer.html in your document root and copy it into the stream being sent to the browser - it is not an SSI directive - see the paragraph below it, quoted here -

|"I'll frequently combine the last two things, putting a |LAST_MODIFIED| directive inside a footer file to be included. SSI directives can be contained in the included file, and includes can be nested - that is, the included file can include another file, and so on."

So LAST_MODIFIED is an SSI (server-side-include) directive that can be "included" in your footer.

Confusing enough? Heh! I LOVE when apps use the same words in different and related contexts.

One of the things you can do with the echo SSI command is display environment variables in your web page - for example, GMT date as here

<!--#echo var="DATE_GMT" -->

Here's the page in IBM's KnowledgeCenter that has the several SSI commands.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/api/content/ssw_ibm_i_71/rzaie/rzaiessicommands.htm

HTH
Vern