True, but using JavaScript does not necessarily make your site inaccessible to non-visual user agents any more than switching it off suddenly does the opposite.

You can generate elements in the DOM with JavaScript that use ARIA just as easily as you can do it with standard HTML and CSS. In fact jqueryui widgets do just that ( as I have discovered today).

I for one would like to find out what non-visual UAs there are and whether or not they include a JavaScript engine.

On 29 Jan 2013, at 20:31, "Dean, Robert" <rdean@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think you're missing the point. The main accessibility concern is sightedness: how does your site perform for a non-visual user agent?

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 2:51 PM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] DB Maintenance Design Patterns

Henrik,

I'm suffering from the same disconnect. How would disabling JavaScript help users with disabilities? How would impairing the browser improve accessibility? It doesn't make sense. If you want to help people with disabilities then provide keyboard short-cuts as alternatives to mouse events, at least when it concerns to database maintenance.

How would reloading an entire page (brochure-ware) be more accessible than using AJAX to update field values. Under the former you wait longer and consume more bandwidth. The latter is n-times more efficient.

I think that arguments can be made for using moderate amounts of JavaScript. Excessive JavaScript can impair the performance of user interfaces; make the UI appear sluggish and heavy-weight. But it doesn't make sense to eschew JavaScript altogether.

Some developers may not want to take the time and initiative to learn JavaScript. In that case, they may license a wizard to generate it; consign themselves to the constraints of the wizard.

-Nathan