I hear you Peter. You are right - Net.Data does fit my criteria. Apparently nothing else comes as close. It is difficult to refrain from making religious arguments at this point.

On 1/19/2013 3:30 PM, Peter Connell wrote:
Martin,

The Net.data solution was suggested because it appeared to fit the criteria of your request very well. (not withstanding that I am it's major proponent)
It should be noted that the IBM engineer responsible for the product still visits http://dtwdude.com to respond to some queries. (not withstanding that I built that site myself using PHP because nobody hosts Net.data)

I shall not presume to lecture you on the merits of other solutions as I have the impression that others before you have wilted from the plethora of erudite responses.
Except to say that the sample code I offered is about as simple as solutions get. Were your machine owner prepared to install Zend Server (it's free) I could offer the same script written almost as simply in PHP.

Good luck,
Peter

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Booth Martin
Sent: Sunday, 20 January 2013 7:02 a.m.
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Reading data

Thus it is demonstrated. QED

I am tired of going down dirt roads to nowhere. I was shocked to hear a comment the other day of "Now that Java is dying as a solution..." and no one disagreed.

There seems to be no consensus, and the solutions are piling up like driftwood on the beach.

I appreciate the discussion from everyone. Thank you all.