I think I'd start with some HTML tutorials. One of the concepts I had trouble with when I started web development was the fact that the ultimate product of any scripting language is an HTML file that is served up in the browser. Grasping that concept and the syntax of HTML is the logical first step, in my opinion. Once there is a solid understanding of HTML then work on scripting, CSS, JavaScript, etc. can be introduced.

Thanks,
Todd

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Booth Martin
Sent: Friday, January 18, 2013 1:51 PM
To: Web Enabling the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Reading data

dang. Failure to communicate. You are never dense, so this is my shortcoming. This probably demonstrates why I am having trouble with the project - I don't know enough to even explain it so of course I can't do it. Let me try again.

Lets say I am an average RPG programmer working in a shop with home-grown code on a relatively new piece of hardware, and with software that has evolved slowly but steadily since 1981. The applications work, the boss is happy, and we finally got rid of all our old terminals 8 years ago. I've kept up with my RPG and none of my new code is fixed format, I am using %bifs. I am keeping up, more or less.

Lets also say I want to start providing the sales people and managers with Intranet solutions instead of with 5250, spoolfiles, and PDFs. I have seen http://MYi:2001/HTTPAdmin and I built a small static website.
In my case, I can even publish reports there. But I want to do more.

Where do I start?