Kevin,

"It must be getting late. No garbage collection??"

EXT JS runs garbage collection every 30 seconds to remove storage and
object allocations that aren’t active in the DOM anymore. If it didn't the
browser session would consume more and more memory during the session due
to long gone inactive objects. Remember EXT JS is OO javascript and
whatever is rendered in the browser has a corresponding OO javascript
object that handles it and there is no *INLR=*ON in javascript objects.

In an EXT JS Viewport you can have 1-n tabs (programs) active at the same
time and when a user closes a tab (program) – you need to clean the
“garbage” up. You can select to run the tabs inside a single level EXT JS
structure or you can chose to run the tabs in IFRAME’s – but it really
doesn’t matter the Viewport controls whatever is active under its control.
There is nothing new in this, any OO oriented language needs to clean up on
a higher level that the scope the object exists in.

This is a complete other approach than what you use, where you, as I see
it, passes a complete HTML section < RNSRESPONSE > (grid/form) through
XR0001.PGM to be displayed by replacing the content in a predefined area
(div?) of the main page/viewport. By doing so you automatically clean up
previously content of the DOM but are constrained to have only one central
page open at any time.

In other words, when you display a grid you call XR0001.PGM to serve the
grid, when you display a record you call XR0001.PGM again (and loses the
grid) and when you press "cancel" you ask XR0001.PGM to serve the grid
again so you actually doesn’t go back to what you already has served you go
forward asking the server for a page it just previously has served since
the grid object was removed when you served the form.

EXT JS works so differently and has a much more binary APP/fat client
structure where the server only delivers data, when you close a window/form
object this object signals back to an event listener in the already loaded
grid object's JSON Data Store that it should reload its data but not the
code from the server and by doing so the result is automatically shown in
the DOM and that is in any regards much more slimmer and faster than
reloading a complete new page.

At the same time the form object goes inactive and the build in EXT JS
garbage collector that manages lists of any defined object will remove the
allocated lower level object.

I hope the above clarifies why I wrote what I did, we simply lives in to
different development environments/paradigms and I will be the first to
admit that EXT JS probably has the steepest learning curve I have ever
experienced in my career, it is simply a complete other paradigm than we as
IBM I (and most PHP/.NET) programmers are used to.

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 2:09 AM, Kevin Turner
It must be getting late. No garbage collection??