Complexity normally isn't an issue when you are using the WSDL to generate the proxy classes for you to use. Hierarchical data is usually just a representation of an object or objects which, when accessed via these classes, becomes much less complicated to deal with. Visual Studio has usually handled anything I have needed to throw at it.

Not much help in the RPG world mind.