That is the first question that should be asked.

Very good question.

The two huge reasons for an app is user convenience and your apps ability
to be found.

On the note of user convenience, it is sooo easy to install apps from
Android Market or Apple App Store and for the user to subsequently use the
accompanying icons of the app to create short cuts on their home screen.
We live in a day and age where a simple inconvenience can cause you to
lose business to a competitor (genX and genY are particularly inclined to
do this and that is the next generation with money to spend). Which of the
two statements at a social gathering will more likely end up with your app
being downloaded/installed:

"Hey friend, check out EverNote. Just search for it in the app store"

or

"Hey friend, check out Evernote. Just go to evernote.com, click on
download mobile app, select ...."

On the "ability to be found note", I have yet to do a search for new
Android apps outside of searching in Google's Android Market or Amazon's
market (though I don't even think I loaded that on my most recent Android
phone yet). If you have an app as your primary selling point (i.e.
EverNote) then it is imperative you are in the App Market/Store. If you
are adding customer interaction to an existing business (i.e. Lowes has a
mobile version of their website) then the web app route is definitely a
good route. But even with that said, if I were Lowes I would still create
an app for the App Market/Store because that is one more additional way
your customers can get at you.

Note I am still fairly fresh to the mobile dev scene so my comments are not
flavored as much as somebody that's been doing it since 2007 (when Android
came to Google).

Aaron Bartell
www.MowYourLawn.com/blog
www.OpenRPGUI.com