but I think you still need to buy a Mac and sign up with the Apple
developer program to be able to create applications for the iPhone.

That is correct.

I just got done creating my first PhoneGap app for iOS only to have it
rejected by the Apple App Store staff. They have a long list of rules and
reserve the right to reject any app if they feel like it (which is what
they did with mine).

Granted the app I created wasn't entirely useful to anyone outside of
KrengelTech (why they rejected it), but I wanted to have it on the Apple
App Store so others could download it to show how easy app distribution is
with an app store.

The same PhoneGap app was MUCH easier to digitally sign and get onto
Google's Android Market: http://bit.ly/u0BYUE

There are some decently complicated apps (by today's standards) out there
that use PhoneGap. Check out the Diary Mobile app which was developed
using PhoneGap: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.diary.android

The careful eye can tell it isn't using native components, but it is one of
those things where it is "close enough" that many will go this route in my
opinion.

The other approach I have been flirting with is to send screen definitions
down in JSON format and render them on the fly using native UI components.
Check out DynaDroid4i to see what I mean:
http://www.ibmsystemsmag.com/ibmi/developer/general/Meet-DynaDroid4i/

Aaron Bartell
www.MowYourLawn.com/blog
www.OpenRPGUI.com