Glad you brought PhoneGap up Joe. I have been using PhoneGap for about a year and once you get your head around HTML5,CSS3 and Javascript (which you will have to do in order to write a mobile web application anyway) you are 95% there.

I'll be doing a Webinar on "Developing Mobile Applications for i using Open Source Tools" on January 24th, 26th and Feb 1st for Common that will cover PhoneGap. I have been blogging about developing a mobile web applications, starting with a green screen app and taking it all the way to a native mobile app here http://www.petesworkshop.com/blog_wp which will be covering PhoneGap in the next couple of installments. I developed a mobile application for Common that Conference attendee's can use to schedule their sessions with that was developed using PhoneGap and finally, at some point this year, SystemiNEWS magazine may publish a series of articles I wrote last summer that will cover a soup to nuts (green screen to mobile app) development strategy.

A mobile application (web or native) is wonderfully straightforward to develop. PhoneGap makes it drop dead easy once you get over the HTML/CSS/Javascript hurdle. Writing code once and deploying to Android/IOS/Blackberry/etc is the way to go so that you don't have to learn all those native languages.

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc
www.petesworkshop.com
GIAC Secure Software Programmer-Java