From: Joe Pluta
It's just that there isn't all that much interest in HATS. It's a
relatively old technology and it has limited applicability. For most
business cases there are better answers.

IT Jungle published an article a few days ago on "modernization" and quoted
quite a bit from IBM's Alison Butterill:

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh060611-story03.html

"Some people might call this putting lipstick on a 5250 screen. More universal
terms are screen scraping or refacing, which means putting a graphical image on
a local device and most often this is a browser. In most cases, this does not
involve manipulation of code, although could include building macros, adding
extensions, calling APIs, and triggering screen displays by mouse clicks."

"But for many companies the goal is to create more flexible code as part of the
modernization process. Flexible code is another way of saying interoperability."

"You need to modularize, which means taking programs with thousands of lines of
code and breaking them into functional components--user interface, business
logic, data, and maybe print modules," Butterill emphasizes. "It's important to
isolate the functions. Once it's modularized, it's easy to pull out a module and
replace it."

-Nathan