From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thorbjoern Ravn Andersen
Sent: Sunday, 1 May 2011 8:07 p.m.
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] Processing XSL from RPGLE

Den 22/04/11 02.26, Peter Connell skrev:
Hi,

RPGLE now has very useful XML parsing functions built-in, which we use much to our benefit.
But it would be nice if there was functionality to perform XSL transformations without having to build our own utilities.
To achieve this I had to find the java code (not much) to create a custom wrapper class that uses javax.xml.transform etc to transform an XML file using an XSL file into an HTML file.
But the initial JVM load is annoying (without resorting to data queues and such).

However, we've just upgraded to V6R1 and I happened to look at the XML Toolkit and noticed there is XSL support via C++.
I thought this might be worth a look since a compiled C++ routine should give better performance than java (well that's the bet).
I discovered that the installed QXSLDEV110 library has the CLP source for CRTXSLCPP whose text is "CREATES XALAN C++ TEST/SAMPLE PGMS IN GIVEN LIB".
If you compile this then, provided that you also have the ILE C++ compiler installed, you can call this CRTXSLCPP program which then compiles all the necessary C++ programs for you. What a breeze, and without having to know any C++.
Stumbling around the folder of samples in \QIBM\ProdData\xmltoolkit2\xsl_1100\samples, reveals that one of the C++ programs compiled is called TESTXSLT which does just what my existing custom java transform does.
And it seems to work, at least with the simple things I've tried at first.
But, on a mor complex XSL stylesheet, whenever it finds the format-number() function in an XSL stylesheet it throws an annoying message "Warning: The function 'format-number()' is not implemented."
Of course, I don't understand this problem but wondered if anybody might point me in the right direction. ( might have something to do with an ICU thing)
This is very interesting as an alternative to a JVM based solution.
Note that the actual transformation will most likely not be much faster
- and for many transformations in a run the Java facilities for caching
compiled XSLT programs may be much faster - but that it is faster to
start the program itself.

It sounds like this is a ported version of Xalan 1, which is an Apache
project available at http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/usagepatterns.html.
The mentioning of ICU in relation to missing format-number function does
not sound like it enables the function but more that it becomes fully
locale-aware (does it run or crash?). The cause may be that this is an
old Xalan without a full implementation of the XPath language (which is
the expression-inside-quotes language) - I vaguely recall that this can
be because the XSLT program is precompiled and that implementation is
not complete.

Is anybody using this instead of Java based XSLT?