Protecting your httpd.conf file is simple:

# Hide Apache Configuration Files
<Directory /conf>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</Directory>
No one can access this file from the outcomming
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:44 PM, John Jones <chianime@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Yes, but as with most things in the security world it isn't an
all-or-nothing proposition. This is about finding the right balance. The
remove-complexity process would probably be a big failure if taken to the
extreme and a company went so far as to remove the complexity that their
outer firewall adds. Likewise, the cost & complexity of application
firewalls will be too much for smaller companies.

Segregation of what is exposed and what you want to protect makes sense.
Consider it part of defense in depth. The resources (time, money) you
devote to that segregation should be determined by your company's tolerance
for risk.

My point is that we should not just assume the i is secure. Making it
acceptably secure takes time, effort, and skill. And in some cases vendor
cooperation if using a 3rd party app with a poor default security design.
Not all shops have the right combination of those resources.