Glad you got it working. Yes, you did need to set up your mail server in
your php.ini server and, yes, you have to bounce Zend Server if you modify
the php.ini file. So it sounds like you were almost there before.

As for the links, yes the mail() function was missing in the very first
release of Zend Core and the beta releases of Zend Server. It is fully
functional in the final products.

Brian May
Project Lead
Management Information Systems
Garan, Incorporated
Starkville, Mississippi

BButterworth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent by: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
03/18/2011 08:32 AM
Please respond to
Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries <web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

web400@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Re: [WEB400] PHP mail() function

Brian,

I got the impression or was wondering whether it worked because searching
around, I found these links:

http://alanseiden.com/articles/zend-brings-php-to-ibm-i5os.html
http://forums.zend.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=5151&hilit=mail

Of course, one is for early Zend Core and in the other, Zend Server beta
is mentioned. When I initially looked in the php.ini, I found this:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
SMTP = localhost
smtp_port = 25

Maybe it should say "For Win32 and IBM i only." In any event, I changed it

to reference our SMTP server, and it didn't work. In hind sight, that may
have occurred because I didn't cycle Zend Server. We decided to revamp our

website based on a PHP-based CMS and due to time constraints, contracted
the work out. So I am still learning the ins and outs of PHP on IBM i.
Even still, it has been a smooth transition and PHP seems to work great on

the system. After more trial and error, we did get the mail() function
working, though the contact module of our CMS was still not functioning. I

see it is today, so our developer must have figured the problem out last
night. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Blake

Blake Butterworth | Senior Programmer Analyst | Kansas Turnpike Authority
| 9401 E Kellogg | Wichita, KS 67207 | (316) 652-2740

Where did you see that it wasn't supported. I don't remember anything
of
the sort. In fact, I'm pretty sure I have used mail() on Zend Core.

As for alternatives, you could use the Zend_Mail component of Zend
Framework. http://framework.zend.com/manual/en/zend.mail.html