In my opinion there is little difference creating XML or HTML using RPG,
especially if you are used to XHTML-style syntax.

The primary benefit is to use the same data for different transformations or
presentation. It's been a while since I read about XSL, but I recall
different XSL files can convert the same XML to HTML, PDF, Excel, CSV, or
other output without recreating the source data. XSL can also present the
data in different views such as summary vs. detail, or different rollups.
XSL can hide data that is unneeded for certain presentations.

This is similar to how CSS style sheets can format HTML in different ways,
see http://www.csszengarden.com/. XSL can do similar with XML.

--Loyd

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 11:48 AM, Kevin Turner <kevin.turner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx