In the interests of trying to help clear up the vagueness, here's a good discussion of the MaxClients directive. It's Perl oriented, but Perl's been around for a long time and the Perl folks know a lot about this stuff.

http://modperlbook.org/html/11-1-Setting-the-MaxClients-Directive.html

It's never cut and dried. A single session can have lots of connections. Just think of a web page with lots of images. Each image can be given it's own connection and all of them can be fired off and share the bandwidth (which is why you'll see multiple images slowly getting painted).

The MaxClients configures how many threads or processes are spawned by the server to handle concurrent requests. What does this mean? What is the lifespan of the thread/process? Does a single thread/process server an entire persistent session? What happens if a persistent session also wants to request images (logos, buttons, whatever)? Does the browser create more connections for those? Are they persistent or non-persistent?

I just haven't had the time to do the research on all of these. If anyone knows any definitive answers, I'd love to hear them.

Joe