On 1/1/2011 1:29 PM, Maurice O'Prey wrote:
On 1/1/2011 11:26 (or thereabouts) AM, Joe wrote:

I'm not even sure where to take this particular question, Maurice. A
single-user MS-DOS machine compared to an IBM i? How do these even
compare? One runs an enterprise, the other runs (maybe) a store front.
How do you compare these?
For starters they have a CPU, memory and a hard disk (a bit like a computer
I suppose), and then they obviously have an operating system, that is how I
would compare them.

And then you go on to completely ignore my comparison... <grin> And that being the case, I decided to just re-name the thread and then it can die a peaceful, off-topic death. <smile>

It's interesting that you
bring up music, because multimedia machines now require 64-bit Windows
because they need more than 4GB of memory to run efficiently. But come
on - why do you need a gigabyte of RAM to run Office? Just wondering.
Sorry I disagree, the majority of pro recording (PC) applications run on
windows XP with maybe 2GB of ram, indeed many a recording pro will advise
you to use XP (you don't need 64 bit at all)

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific. I was talking about multimedia, which includes video as well. Full video rendering really requires upwards of 4GB to be efficient. But I did get that information second-hand from my brother, who's one of those weird guitarists. In fact, he's even stranger, he's a bass player <chuckle>.

Joe