Den 30/12/10 22.30, Niels Liisberg skrev:
Hi Thorbjørn;

There is nothing wrong with apache!! it is a fantastic web-server... The problem is the CGI part and fact that apache is well suited for running thread where you in RPG normally would like to have a process - namely a IBMI job. So typical you have to (re) design you app to relocate resources whenever you have a new request from the "next" session. Which again makes i.e. commitment control almost impossible - or at least a nightmare..

Some have implemented persistence in CGI ( now we are only talking ILE/RPG/COBLE - and down that road) however, that just adds to the CGI overhead.

So the 10-factor holds in IceBreak. It is, however, more in the manner - 10 times less resources is needed due to the added unnecessary stuff applied to your code and due to the number of layers.
Hi Niels.

I am not doubting your figures. I just try to understand how it happens.

Sorry for not understanding this immediately, but I am not very familiar with how the non-Java things work on the i. Does this mean that you map each session to its own IBM i job, and let it keep state from invocation to make it very fast to handle each response? And said job is then finished when the session expires?

But I do not understand what you mean by "commitment control". Could you elaborate?