I finally spoke with representatives from MySQL/Oracle this morning.
Support for version 5.5 of MySQL and the IBMDB2I storage engine has indeed
been discontinued for the IBM i platform. It sounds like this change
applies to the Community Server edition on up. I didn't get a clear
indication of whether this means they've refactored the code base so that
compilation on IBM i is not possible, whether it means they didn't code
support for changes in 5.5, or whether it means they are merely not
providing binaries and support contracts for 5.5 forward.

The MySQL/Oracle reps. chalked the change up to IBM pulling the plug on
both MySQL and IBMDB2I. I didn't go into it with them, but it's hard to
see what motive IBM would have in this since MySQL and IBMDB2I bring a lot
to the platform in terms of application availability and integration.
Plus, Jon mentioned that developers inside IBM were recently considering
ways to enhance the storage engine's functionality. If there was little
interest and use, however, I suppose it's possible.

At this point, we can proceed with MySQL 5.0/5.1 on IBM i for our website.
If we want to purchase a support contract, which includes security and bug
patches, Oracle will provide it for the next 3 years for Enterprise
Edition. I'm waiting to hear back regarding details on Standard Edition.
After EOL, we could re-assess and if need be, move MySQL to another
platform. It's also possible that IBM and Oracle may come to an
understanding by that time and offer a version for IBM i again.

Sorry for the bad news.

Blake