Yes, I know of the migration service. I built it. I can't share data on deliveries of that service (or traffic to that page... I think you just caused a bump :-) ), but the data leans heavily in my favor.

Just because there are companies and sessions at conferences for a certain topic does not mean that they are indicative of the market at large. Look at ZendCon or TEK if you want to get an accurate representation of what is current in the PHP market. Migration from 4 to 5 hasn't been on the radar for several years at the PHP conferences. Same thing as with migration services. Perhaps there are companies doing migrations and making impressions off of conference sessions talking about migration, but it sure ain't us nor any of the people I've talked to today.

Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:22 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] PHP Books at Sitepoint

Joe,
SitePoint is very unusual in that they took this long to migrate. If it
was this past quarter that they moved they were _years_ behind the curve.
A single site does not a statistic make (or break). So, no BS. Almost
all development has been happening on PHP 5 for several years and almost
all active websites migrated to 5 several years ago, a few stragglers
notwithstanding.

Kevin

This seems ot be a strange statement on which to take a stand, Kevin, but
if you want to keep making broad statements, I'll be happy to keep
knocking 'em down. You've heard of Solutions Linux, I assume? Big trade
show, in Paris, every year in March/April? Ah, Paris in the springtime!
Well, while I'm not sure of 2010 or the upcoming 2011 show, I know that in
2009 they had a session on migrating PHP4 to PHP5. So it seems that at
least in their mind, not only had not everyone migrated, but many people
hadn't even STARTED their migration project - enough that they had a
session on the topic. This was less than two years ago. Not five.

They're not the only ones either. In fact, there are still vendors
hawking consulting services for PHP4 to PHP5 migrations. This includes
some fairly well known companies!

http://www.zend.com/services/consulting/migration-services/

Normally I wouldn't care that much about evangelism (heck, I've
evangelized for Java, RPG, SQL, Rational and EGL for years now), but since
you're here from Zend and the i community relies on Zend, I want to make
sure you're shooting straight.

Joe