Den 14/12/10 07.16, Mike Pavlak skrev:
Well, Joe, we'll have to agree to disagree. I see PHP as a VERY Enterprise oriented language. And so do companies like Dr. Dobbs Journal, GE, eBay, Disney and many
What precisely do you think characterizes an "enterprise oriented language"?
If you notice, I said Java was too complex for me. The RPG community adopting PHP is saying that Java was too complex for the masses. I wish I had hard numbers to tell
Why should Java be too complex for IBM i programmers, when so many programmers on other platforms do not seem to have these kind of problems?

(and, yes, I know there are many RPG programmers, and there used to be many Visual Basic programmers, but there is still MORE Java programmers these days than either).

Look, I am not stating that PHP can cure cancer. But I do see PHP as a very viable Enterprise solution for Server centric processing. You hit the nail on the head about Eclipse. That is a better solution for a client written in Java while PHP runs on the server as it was intended. There are many out there who would be ecstatic to see Eclipse delivered using C++ as that might improve some basic performance issues. But Eclipse performance has improved tremendously over the years, as has Intel processor performance. Please use the right hammer on the right nail. And PHP is an Enterprise hammer for the server, QED. Even though some folks are using it on the client, too.
Do C++ have a facility similar to OSGi these days? That proved to be necessary for getting Eclipse out of the "too-complex" morass they'd ended up in.