On 12/13/2010 9:05 PM, Mike Pavlak wrote:
Joe,

Thanks for the lecture but again, where are your references?<sarcasm> A Wired magazine article about how PHP sucks? Something from Gartner predicting the demise of PHP? Maybe a Computerworld review of a "Point-Counterpoint" discussion featuring a bruised and bloodied Rasmus Lerdorf with the foot of Dr. Gosling standing over him triumphantly?</sarcasm> It's your statement. All I am asking is that you support it with a couple of references that are hopefully less than 2 years old and reasonably credible.

Dude, you have a seriously mistaken impression that I'm looking for your concurrence. And I certainly don't need Wired magazine to tell me PHP sucks. I've already got my opinion and everyone in the community knows what it is. That's why I usually stay out of conversations about PHP.

I just wanted to point out that anyone worried about the lack of stability of Java due to the Oracle announcement (that is the subject of this thread) would be hard pressed to find an alternative, and I suggested that they might want to research PHP as an example. I wouldn't even begin to compare Java and PHP as programming tools; there's simply no comparison.

I'm not sure what sort of reference you want. You're not going to find anything that says you should program in PHP4 because the version dropped support. In 2007. Remember? So what do you expect to read in any article after that? Why do I need a reference for the change in object reference? Or the change in class naming? Did PHP5 suddenly get Unicode support while we weren't looking?

But if you have an open mind, here's a great article on the state of the art back in 2006:

http://www.thephpgrind.net/2006/06/08/get-real-about-php4-vs-php5/

Definitely not from h8terz or fanboyz, just some real users. It points out both the strengths of PHP5 and some of the practical problems. I do find it somewhat ironic that some of those folks were eagerly awaiting PHP6. Back in 2006. I wonder if they're still waiting as eagerly?

Anyway, lots of people like PHP. If it lets people get stuff done, more power to them! It just seems like a bad investment to me to use up a slot in your brain for something that is as single-purpose as PHP, but that's me. I don't like learning how to program *WSCST objects either <shudder>.

Joe