You probably never ever took a look at smarty (THE php template engine). Never used it myself but it is the defacto standard in php if you are using a template engine (don't do much php myself).

Mihael

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Helgren
Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 7:55 PM
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] PHP Strategy and opportunity

I wonder about what would be an "easy on-ramp" these days. I started
looking outside the box in 1993 and there wasn't much on the AS/400 at
that time. Some ODBC connections to a VB or Access application was
about all I could attempt.

From there I got fully engaged in ASP on IIS. Man, that code was UGLY
with both HTML and vb script interspersed in the same file. Nasty! I
also checked out PHP early and saw mostly the same stuff: code, HTML,
script all smooshed together. I stuck with fat client for quite a
while. When I began to investigate new coding opportunities in
2001/2002, ASP (.net) dropped off the list because MS was charging for
everything and changing everything (daily it seemed). The PHP scripts I
downloaded for ideas stilled looked ugly to me and I drifted into Java
because it could run on i AND because the Freemarker template framework
(and another app framework called Niggle) looked *just* like the 5250
DSPF/RPG coding I always had done. So, in 2002 I pretty much adopted
Java and have stuck with it as my secondary language.

The good news is that the OO focus has helped me with all the other
languages I deal with: PHP5, Ruby and JRuby, EGL, Smalltalk and the
jQuery javascript library. OO is the standard focus of most languages
these days so sooner or later you have to get the basic concepts in your
head because you *will* deal with an OO language if you are writing web
apps (IMHO).

I guess it depends *when* you took the onRamp to a new language. In my
case, Java was a very easy transition for me, even coming from RPG,
because of the tools that abstracted most of the gnarly coding away. I
think you can do that with PHP5 as well; Write procedural code or write
OO *OR* use a framework that makes the coding transition easier. I
don't *think* PHP has a leg up in this area but it has been over 8 years
now that I have "cheated" on my first love RPG and embraced another
language.

YMMV.

Pete Helgren
Value Added Software, Inc