The problem is not PHP (or .NET) the problem is that the MVC paradigm is
becomming more and more obsolete because the view in modern multi channel
UI's has moved from server centric to client centric. Can PHP make a
flash/flex app ? Can PHP make an iPhone App ? Can PHP build a OOjavascript
Ext JS or Touch app ? Nope - all these are Client Centric app's that comes
with their own client centric SDK.

What is left for the server to do, is to offer REST based webservices that
either delivers data wrapped in XML or JSON or initiate server processes
based on simple URI's from the Client program.

So, this is a quite different scenario that is emerging and every time I
have a meeting with young programmers that work with and breath for the
above client app's and explain them what they can expect from the IBM i
server, suddenly the IBM i isn't "old iron" because it meets their needs and
they actually don't care what technology that delivers the service.

Ask yourself, who can make an iPhone App ? I believe that anyone can make a
"hello world" app, but I also believe that you can't make a "state of the
art" app without living with an iPhone and I have yet to experience a
programmer that starts the meeting by placing his/hers iPhone, iPad,
android, blackberry, Windows mobile and his/hers MAC and windows 7 notebook
on the meeting table and I have yet to meet anyone who claims to have
expertise to build "state of the art" UI's to them all and at the same
time claims to have expertise to know all about building server side
business apps, server side security, server side change management, server
side setup etc. etc.

That's a lot of chewing gum to consume at the same time, especially if you
try to sell anybody that this can be done without or hardly any chewing
education ;-)

Regards
Henrik