Maybe your definitions are different than mine.

My definition of scalable is growing to more than one server. I don't know
what yours is.

"Throwing more hardware at a performance problem is not my idea of
scalability." The last I checked, you have to add more memory or add a CPU
to a IBM i to enhance performance as well. You can't take a low-end i and
expect it to process millions of hits an hour. The difference is that most
PC hardware don't support 32 CPUs or more. They are built cheap. So for the
cost of that additional web server, I have added another CPU and more memory
to my i. (Okay, so I don't know that is fully true, but it isn't cheap to
upgrade an i). So really, I AM throwing hardware at the problem. The only
difference is that we can get a system big enough that could handle those
high loads and keep a "single machine". Which from what I have seen these
days are still racks of servers (to the non-initiated).

Performance is different. Poor performance could be fixed with more
hardware, but most high-traffic sites throw hardware to temporarily ease the
problems it until they fix it permanently (like Twitter had to do).

Unless they know their site will see heavy use from launch, many developers
don't look at the issues in creating scalable sites until the problems show
up. Heck, I wouldn't know what to do on the i much less on Windows to make
things truly scalable.

--
Mike Wills
http://mikewills.me