Hi Jim,

In dealing with customer web pages (order entry) how are others
handling browser differences?

It depends on which browser differences you are referring to.

1) With HTML, I typically use the "least common denominator", and I test under Firefox, IE, Chrome and Safari. I start with Firefox, and just tweak for the others, it's not usually too hard.

2) With CSS... I do it the same way as HTML, but there tend to be more/bigger differences with CSS, so I try not to use anything that seems "obscure", when I use obscure CSS techniques, it's harder to make them compatible.

3) With JavaScript... the easiest thing is to use a 3rd-party framework that has already coded/tested browser discrepancies. Especially for "AJAX" type techniques, as IE seems to work much differently than everything else with regard to AJAX.

But, on the other hand, it's not too hard to write your own "compatibility" routine for AJAX, you just need to be prepared to test it on all browsers, and keep it up to date with each new release. (With the 3rd-party frameworks, someone else does all of that.)

Do you dumb the features down to a level most browser accept or code sections for different browsers? This is search& data entry& not so much point& click,& project on a skinny budget.

Depending upon whose stats (this is w3schools),
Internet Exp8 16.2% IE7 7.8% IE6 6.7% Total 30.7
Firefox 4.0 0.6% 3.6 35.2% 3.5 6.1% Total 45.8
Chrome 6.0 1.4% 5.0 15.1% 4.0 0.3% Total 17.0
Safari S5 2.6% ... 3.5

We want to set a minimum standard for browsers.
All of this will be in rpgle cgi.
Jim Franz