Firstly, I'm also pretty tired of the perpetual license discussion and come
to that it is up to the individual whether or not he/she can live with a
GPLv3 licensed product.

This tread started with a question about why we as Open Source Vendors
dosn't work together.

Well, if we disagree on licensing, do you think we wouldn't disagree on
product strategy ?

The reality is that I have invited Aaron to participate in powerEXT, wich he
declined because of the license issue.

I have never invited Kevin. But Kevin and I goes back a long time in the
Easy/400group, where he has offered great help to me and Kevin has also
access to my iSeries to test installation procedures on my iSeries that has
a special character set â so we do work together or at least help each
other.

Where openRpgUI (not to offend Aaron) and powerEXT AF/Renaissance differs,
is that the latter two has a overall product strategy and database structure
to support the framework and pre-made programs to support common
applications tasks - such as user maintenance, menus, security issues,
change management, different language support etc. etc.

This means that you cannot take a bit of powerEXT and a bit of Renaissance
and merge it into one product â it would be like merging LANSA with SYNON or
try to mix SAP with JD Edwards modules.

The same goes for trying to merge client frameworks like Ext JS and jQuery
UI â yes, it could be done (anything can be done), but the result would be a
mess, and would also just add complexity to the main problem with both ExtJS
and jQuery based UI's and with WEB2.0/RIA in general - the learning curve
for most RPG programmers are steap.

Making a succesfull international Open Source Group isn't so easy that it
sounds, it actually requires some sort of non-profit organisation and some
sort of management and cannot be done by a âone man armyâ, just try to visit

http://typo3.org

it will give you a pretty good idear of how much work there could be behind
building souch a group.

Regards

Henrik