I think the issue is the way WP is doing the update. It DOES create the first folder:
/www/zendsvr/htdocs/petesworkshop/blog_wp/wp-content/upgrade
but only with permissions for me, and PUBLIC *EXCLUDE (as it should be). So, if I add QTMHHTTP as a user and give it *RWX authority, it will then create the next folder and then choke:
/www/zendsvr/htdocs/petesworkshop/blog_wp/wp-content/upgrade/wordpress-3.tmp
Again, only *I* have authority to the folder the WP just created, so I have to add QTMHHTTP to the authorities and then the process will run, and choke, on the next step. And so on. So I think it is all running under my user profile so it only creates folders where I have permission which (somehow) doesn't allow WP to continue to run the update.

Googling turned up some other OS's and server configs where the same issue arises with no easy solution. I may ping the YiP's list and see if they have run into it.

Thanks.

Pete