I would suggest that converting spool files is not a significant process task compared to transforming HTML so I would expect it to be faster.

-----Original Message-----
From: web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:web400-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Nathan Andelin
Sent: Saturday, 15 May 2010 4:28 a.m.
To: Web Enabling the AS400 / iSeries
Subject: Re: [WEB400] PDF Performance

Regarding performance, I was able to drop the time from 2 minutes, to 20 seconds, to transform a 150 page HTML document to PDF. I can live with that. Just discovering various Java optimization techniques.

That's still quite a bit less throughput than Jim Horn's example of converting a 640 page spool file in 10 seconds, using CoolSpool. But an HTML to PDF transformation offers a way to do GUI formatting, which has some added value.

I was also pleased that PDF files end up being only 1/4 - 1/5 the size of original HTML files, which may alleviate bandwidth concerns.

Nathan.